Burned out on Software Development, but eager to provide technical leadership?
The Principal Software Engineer (PSWE) is a rare position that allows a senior software developer to be involved in software engineering without coding chores. This position is a hybrid role where the engineer is co-located in the Program Management Office (PMO). As such, it merges management with technical roles.
The PSWE oversees multiple programs, helping the Technical Task Order (TTO) leaders as both a mentor and at times a co-worker. The PSWE also helps the Program Manager (PM) by working on staffing (technical interviews), task planning, status reporting, and other PM duties that benefit from a technical background. There is also involvement in the Program Technical and Innovation (T&I) Council. These tasks include fostering program wide best practices, providing training opportunities, evaluating task needs, review tools, and reviewing technical task orders to suggest appropriate staffing.
What you bring to the team.
Experience + Education: You’ve got the foundations and are eager to learn more! You have:
- Twenty (20) years’ experience as a SWE in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or related discipline from an accredited college or university is also required
- Four (4) years of additional SWE experience on projects with similar software processes may be substituted for the bachelor’s degree.
In this role, knowledge, or ability of many of following are helpful.
- Agile Methodology – Ability to understand the Agile Manifesto in spirit (as well as implementing the ceremonies)
- Full Software Life Cycle Methodology – DevOps and CI/CD automation experience helpful
- Formal Requirements Tracking – Breaking down high level requirements and linking them to tasking
- Generating Effective Metrics – Understanding useful metric construction and interpretation
- Software Code Quality Analysis – SonarQube a plus
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) – Transitioning to AWS from other architectures
- Maintain and Update SharePoint site – This is infrequently used
- Project Management experience is helpful but not required
- Understanding of Risk Management – Participate in Risk and Opportunity Management Board (ROMB)
- Good communication and documentation skills for Status Reports and on-line documents (Confluence, Jira, Wikis)
- Ability to research and set up training, both in house and external (both online and boot camps/classes)
- Knowledge of Software Asset Management – From purchase to tracking to decommissioning (COTS, GOTS, FOSS)
- Management and documentation of Software Milestones (sprints, deliveries, releases, etc.)
- Ability to help staffing – Prescreen candidates, interview candidates, create interview write-ups for management
We’ll hold up our end of the deal!
Alongside your invitation to innovate, we offer fantastic benefits to make life easier and more enjoyable for you.
- An opportunity to stay curious and learn—iNovex Academy and LinkedIn Learning resources at your fingertips. $7500/yr for educational assistance. All your training, certification, and membership fees covered!
- Excellent health benefits—100% company paid premiums for employee and 85% for all others. We even throw in a contribution to your Health Savings Account!
- Save for your future. 5% automatic company contribution to your 401K. No match required, and immediate vesting. When we all succeed together, we don’t forget about you, we profit share!
- A little bit extra. When you give your all, we give back with bonuses, recognition awards, swag, and more. We have a generous employee referral bonus program when you send more amazing people our way!
- Our team is made up of diverse and curious individuals who welcome the opportunity to create.
Your invitation to apply!
If you feel like you’re a fit for this position and our truths resonate with you, please apply through this posting on our Career Center. Once you apply, you’ll hear from a recruiter within 2 business days to talk more about the opportunity to become an iNovexer!